Mold in the home is a problem that needs to be addressed immediately. While mold may appear to be harmless, it has the potential to damage parts of your home and may cause illnesses and respiratory problems. Understanding how to properly spot mold will help keep your home mold-free.
Learn How to Identify Mold in the Home
Mold varies in shape, size, and color when growing on different surfaces. Indoor mold growth will often look black or brown but can range from greenish to pink to orange. Search online for photos of mold in houses to familiarize yourself with what mold may look like in your own home.
Check for Damp Areas in Your Home
Mold is most likely to grow and thrive in dark, damp environments, like basements and areas that accumulate moisture over time. Thoroughly inspect your home’s basement and any location that is prone to moisture, or hire a professional with specialized tools to do the inspection for you.
Mold in Cabinets and Near Drains
Mold growth is most common beneath the sinks in kitchens and bathrooms, and can also be found on walls, behind drywall, and even behind baseboards and other building materials. One of the best places to begin searching for mold is inside the kitchen and bathroom cabinets that contain sink pipes. Inspecting these areas can also alert you to leaks or issues you may be having with your home’s plumbing system. Mold also tends to grow near shower drains and on the grout around the tub.
Learn How to Spot Toxic Mold in the Home
Identifying mold is important because toxic black mold can lead to life-threatening respiratory struggles. The symptoms that black mold exposure causes can often be mistaken for allergies or common respiratory illnesses. Some of the signs that are common among individuals who have been exposed to toxic mold include:
- Trouble breathing
- Runny nose
- Skin rashes
- Sinus problems
- Dry, persistent cough
- Stuffed nose
If you believe you have black mold growing in your home, contact professionals who specialize in mold inspection and removal services to avoid contact with it.
Knowing how to properly spot and treat mold in the home protects your family from adverse health effects. You’ll also prevent damage to the building materials in your home by removing mold right away.